Friday, November 27, 2009

Question for working opera singers (singers who make their primary form of income by singing opera)?

There are so many I know who have desired to sing opera professionally. Many are talented, and work hard, yet haven't been blessed to manifest their dream. Do you feel that there comes an age when it would be recommended to stop trying, and just 'get a real job?' What advice would you give to someone who wishes to sing professionally?



Question for working opera singers (singers who make their primary form of income by singing opera)?windows mobile



Opera News did a great article on the topic of age discrimination in opera. I have noticed that if you are a "late bloomer" or someone who got into singing opera after the age of 30, then it is next to impossible to break into the field. Most apprenticeship programs and B and C opera companies use age 30-32 as a cut-off. (Of course A companies won't even consider you unless you're a big name star.) Also, if you haven't reach a certain degree of professional notoriety by the time you are 40 then you should begin thinking about another path. Years ago, I decided not to limit myself to opera so I started branching out into musical theatre, voice over work (jingles, animation, studio work, etc) and doing my own thing with public recitals and concerts. Now that I'm at the big 40, I always have work and don't have to worry about dealing with the unspoken prejudice against older singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security